Friday, July 23, 2010

Eulogy



Socorro Capellan-Marcaida.

They said you died a sweet death, I wasn't surprised. Naalaa ko nung huli tayong nagkita, lagi kang kumakanta and you always wear that toothless funny smile -- you were already bedridden by then.

You've always been strong-willed. Imagine a lola traveling alone in her 60's. Ayaw nyo pa ngang subuan ko kayo kahit nahihirapan na kayong umupo 'non. Sabi nyo pa saken "I can manage." E kaya naman pala inglessero din ako. Nakuha ko pala sa inyo.

Hanggang sa mga huling oras nyo, nagbibiro pa daw kayo. That funny look you gave to Tita Bing when she said that she's your prettiest daughter, that would remain a classic. I just confirmed where I get my sense of humor.

Few days before you left, you asked my tita's to prepare you a dress. A white dress. They knew the time was near. Thanks for your creative way of telling us that it was near. And yeah, you looked good in the white dress. Impeccable taste.

The last time we saw each other, you didn't recognize me anymore. Ilang beses tayong nagpakilalanan. Sabi mo alam mong may apo kang si Jun-jun na anak ni Nonoy pero di mo na matandaan ang mukha ko. Naiintindihan ko po. Siguro mas pogi na ako nung nakita nyo ako.

Nagdala ako ng camera nung last kitang binisita. Sabi ko may memory man lang ako, baka last na nga nating pagkikita. Then I decided not to have a picture of us together. That was not the lola I wanna remember. The last kiss you gave me was the sweetest. And you said "I love you," too.

When my tita's told you that you should rest already, you replied, "Sa langit?" And then you just closed your eyes. Sweet death indeed.

I'll sure miss you Lola Sosing...



My little homage to my Lola Sosing. She died two years ago. I wrote this a week after her burial and posted it in my multiply page. 

0 comments: